Monday, November 15, 2010

Ironman Florida Approach

Before I wrote my Ironman race report I thought it would interesting to re-visit my pre-race strategy. I put it together with my coach the week before the race. However, is was truly developed and fine tuned all season long as I trained and raced. We collected data from many aspects of my training (nutrition, heart rate, pace, sweat rate, mood, processes etc.) and analyzed it all over time. This is what we came up with. It is actually quite simple, but specific and sequential.

Reviewing it now is a good way for me to reflect on what went according to plan and what did not. A plan or strategy is required to have success in triathlon (esp. Ironman). But they are meaningless without proper execution. The following was my 2010 Ironman Florida race strategy.

PRE:

Breakfast early, stay off feet, go back up to hotel room after check in

HEED to sip on

Chill out do nothing in AM, and munch on something

SWIM:

3x:30 race pace warm up @ race pace

Spend some energy to get in good position right at start

2nd lap, cruise be relaxed

No need to negative split, stay consistent

Keep HR down between laps

T1:

Have a plan and be methodical

Be organized

Have a banana on the way out

BIKE:

810 cal = 6 scoops Perpetuem (down tube)

420 cal = 2 scoops HEED (saddle)

32oz Fizz water/ hr (aero) half empty at every aid station - refill

Endurolytes

Fizz in bento box

DRINK!

SPECIAL NEEDS:

Replace Perpetuem and HEED bottles - same solutions

Real food – Fig Newton’s ~200 cal.

Make it quick. In and out

T2:

Have a plan and be methodical

Quick stretch- quads, calves

Espresso gel and Endurolytes

RUN:

8:30 pace first 13, or slower if that feel’s too fast

Take it out slow and in controlled

DRINK!

Avoid walking at all costs

Last 5 miles are personal, overcome the expected pain

SPECIAL NEEDS:

Flat coke

Real Food

Endurolytes

Make it real quick if needed at all

Use aid stations for water

NOTES:

THURS/FRI – eat healthy but increase cal. slightly, increase sodium a bit

Possible sabotage – go out too hard early on bike…be in control

First hour be antsy…want to go faster…20-22mph is the goal; Endurance pace/HR

Feel good at special needs is the goal, then again at mile 90

Ask myself “can I cover an attack?” if not…I'm going to hard

If I feel I could have gone harder on the ride, fine…prove it in the marathon

Be in a position off the bike to take advantage of my good run shape

22-26 make it personal. It will hurt like hell. Over ride the pain. Welcome it. Expect it. Recognize it. I am mentally prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment