Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Comeback

All of the gifts are opened and the family is hanging around the house playing with all the new goods. Mom is already at the stove prepping the coming feast. I am sitting here on the couch, still in my pj's just sort of relaxing and thinking about this past year. But more importantly thinking about how much I am anticipating 2010. I am normally not one to contemplate the passing years much but after spending the last good hour paging through a book my sister gave me, I couldn't help but to think things though.

Lance Armstrong's The Comeback 2.0 is something impressive. But before I get into it I must admit two things: 1. I like Lance, don't love him, I respect him as an endurance athlete authority and cancer fighting champion. But I'm not obsessive, this book is the first piece of Livestrong paraphernalia I have ever owned. 2. The book is more of a photo journal than story book, meaning its words are few as the pictures tell most of the story's. The pictures are pretty vivid and awfully insightful into the private life of such a "superstar".

None the less the book's chronicles of Lance's 2009 has left me to put some good thought into what 2009 was for me and what I hope to see 2010 pan out to look like. But mostly 2010. I cant wait for it. I guess because of the perspective of the book I look forward to 2010 from an athletic view. I am sitting here coffee in hand, warm, cozy and full of Christmas contentment. But inside I am ready for the 2010 to be hear. I am ready to do the things I did not in 2009. And I can't wait to feel the push and pain I will conflict upon my body. To put in the hours I didn't in the past.

Lance's book proved to me that every year should be better than the next and that it is never too late to peak. It made me anxious to put in the real work and to not fear anything, or anyone. It gave me confidence. Maybe I am just a decade late in feeling the Armstrong effect but I have to admit it is in full force as I sit here quietly with my family. Because inside the fire is lit, its hot and it's burning a flame with the power of a thousand suns.

I never thought I would have such a cliche source of motivation but I have to say I don't mind it. Although he has transcended endurance sports and has become a household name among the most nonathletic, I am proud to be inspired by the best. Because as much as you might dislike his popularity, or continue to question his cleanliness I contend that he is the poster child for our fringe sport and quite frankly one of the best to ever live. So why fight it?

With all that being said, Lance isn't my hero and I probably won't sport the little yellow bracelet but I do respect the guy as an athlete and beyond. I respect his drive, his focus, his expectancy for the win, and his down to earth approach to fame, and to be honest I respect his business sense. Not to mention his determination to cure the most lethal disease in the world.

So as I leave 2009 behind and look forward to 2010, as of right now I have to one person to thank for the motivation. I have to say It's rather unexpected, a bit cliche, but when it comes down to it, quite invited. See you in "10".

No comments:

Post a Comment